Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Somone Cares


Lady of Light

My husband and I had an interesting experience last week. To extend the Christmas holiday, we were invited to a Three Kings Celebration - a tradition practiced by the Hispanic people in our neighborhood bible study. God forgive me but I made baked ziti for the occasion - what can I say but my "specialty" is Italian food? We read with the Pastor from the book of Luke, and I was reminded of two facts which I had forgotten.
1) We don't really know if it was actually three kings that went to bring gifts to Baby Jesus because we only think that because it mentions three gifts. It could have been more or less, although we assume that it was one gift apiece.
2) Baby Jesus was not a baby but was two years old because that is the length of time it took the wise men to make the journey.

After this study, we exchanged gifts and I was given an interesting book put out by the Bible League by the Pastor. It is called "Someone Cares " In small writing it says God cares for you when you are ill. As I opened this book I saw a basic quote which I would like to share with you:

"The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble..He cares for those who trust in Him...."

Nahum 1:7

Now I had really liked this clear simple reminder about God being good and caring for me. I was surprised it came from the book of Nahum so I went back and looked to see what this book was about. The prophet Nahum had a prophecy that was, like that of Jonah, against Ninevah. God's judgment against the Assyrians was postponed because they repented at Jonah's preaching, but now the destruction of Ninevaah was imminent. It ws in fact destroyed by the Babylonians in 612BC

Though Nahum contains this golden message of the goodness of God for those who trust in him, we learn that although God may postpone the destruction of the wicked, their doom is nonetheless inevitable.

So I think this means "Watch your own "P"'s and "Q"'s and don't worry about evildoers because God, who knows all things will be good to those who trust in Him and take care of everything else in his own time and in his own way.

This was a very good book and you can get copies of this and other materials from The Bible League located nearest to where you are.

God bless you. Have a good day.

Lady of Light

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this post. Great point about Ninevah and evildoers.

Lady Of Light said...

Dear homertojeebus,
Thanks for reading, thanks for your great picture! Always something new to learn, isn't there?