Sunday, January 20, 2008

Our Guest Poet - Thanksgiving WIll Soon Be Here

Although this poem is titled for Thanksgiving, it can be read anytime of the year as we are ever grateful for God's many blessings. Recently, I read an article on "Beliefnet" about celebrating friendships and relationships with family - we won't always have our parents with us forever and who knows how long our friends will be with us? My guest who wrote this poem shared with me that she wrote this and shared it with her parents while they were still alive. She suggests that you try to write or express your feelings to your parents and loved ones while they are still here, if possible. If they have already passed, memoriam writings can also be a blessing to those who are still here.

THANKSGIVING EQUALS MOM AND DAD

Thanksgiving day will soon be here,
My blessing I shall go back in time to peer...
The folks dressed me like a beautiful doll as a child,
And the toys were up to the ceiling piled.
I always had everything I could think of,
But most of all, I had love.

WHAT A LIFE I HAD, BECAUSE OF MOM AND DAD!

We as a family dear went on vacations each year,
To the mountains, the amusement parks, and the shore.
How could I ever ask for more?
As I grew and reached my teens,
They gave me the best of things,
Meaning the jeans.
Albums galore...The Beatles and The Stones:
They even took me to see Humperdinck and Jones.

WHAT A LIFE I HAD, BECAUSE OF MOM AND DAD!

They hated mini-skirts--our ideas didn't always jive;
But can you imagine? when I received my license to drive,
The Rambler was mine and to the bus Dad walked;
Hours on the phone, and they never minded the time I talked.
I won't ever forget their sending me to business school,
Instead of buying the new car and the back yard pool.

WHAT A LIFE I HAD, BECAUSE OF MOM AND DAD!

Much time has flown, but the seeds they've sown,
Make Thanksgiving a special day
To tell them in this special way...
What they've done for me, a million billion dollars
couldn't pay.

AMEN.

My friend was truly blessed to have loving, caring parents and a good life. Whatever your life has been like, I know that if you search, you will discover the special ways God has blessed you - make every day "Thanksgiving".

Prayer: "Lord Jesus, I thank you that you are a kind and loving God and that you have given us salvation, and blessed us also with many things here during our time on earth. Even in those situations where there have been trials or difficulties, I thank you that you have used them for my best I thank you for my family...my parents, my sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, my husband, children and grandchildren. I thank you that you continue to help me to think on the blessings of life and all of the good memories of those family and friends who are no longer here. Help me to make each day a Thanksgiving - keep me in your love, guard my heart and mind, and continue to put gratitude in my heart!"
AMEN

Lady of Light



No comments: