Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Respite From The Hullabaloo of tthe Upcoming Elections

Today is an exciting day because we face the Michigan Primary in which we will find out, I am told, at 9:00 tonight on TV if Mitt Romney made it in his own state as he hopes or if we will be surprised by another victory. The news is filled with all kinds of exciting stories about the candidates, and we are ruffled by the ongoing feud between Hillary and Obama, as well as by the different opinions about the issues flying in the air.

Time to take a breather and open the faithful Word of God for a quiet renewing meditation. Today I went to Psalm 63 which was written by King David when he was in the wilderness of Judah.

First, David states his relationship to God and his need to cry out to him :

"Oh God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is:"

It is so very important that we seek God in all things, including who to vote for and how to discern the abilities and platforms of those who wish to lead our country. And, as I have said before, to pray for those who are in authority on a daily basis.

And, in verses 2-4 David tells what his responses is to a loving God. These verses are special to me because years ago, when I was a member of Terrill Road Bible Chapel, we always learned to sing the Psalms in folk music and it was a terrific way to retain and to express praises from the bible. I know other churches do this also and these verses are actually sung as lyrics:

"Thy lovingkindness is better than life; my lips shall praise thee, thus will I bless thee while I live, I will lift up my lands in thy name."

To meditate on these verses and sing or simply lift up your hands brings such a sense of renewal, love, joy and peace. In a world where so many negative things happen, where the news is filled with contentions and vain babblings of men, it is so great to simply see that when David was in the wilderness, he simply recognized his relatiohship to God, his need and desire to seek God and to recognized the lovingkindness of his creator.

I am glad I took the time to read and think on this particular Psalm today because in the end he even tells what will happen ultimately to the leader or the King that was tantamount to a President back then:

"But the king shall rejoice in God: every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped."

Eventually, the elections will take place and one will gain victory as the new leader of our country. Hopefully then, the lies, the backbiting and all the negative things that go along with campaigning will come to an end.

Meanwhile, I will continue to take my meditation breaks and write about them from time to time. God's word is the only true source of comfort in all situations.

Lady of Light

No comments: