Thursday, January 3, 2008

Living Out Another Resolution - Community Service

Lady of Light

In 2008, I am awaiting a new assignment for my volunteer service in the "Foster Grandparent" program. A community-based program which is part of Senior Corps. began during the Presidency of John F. Kennedy. We all remember his famous quote:
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

Well, I began participation in this program last year which is a few years new in my community and had the opportunity to work in the school with 26 kindergarten children with special needs. I gave 20 hours a week to one-on-one semi-tutoring and mentoring sessions with these wonderful children. I found them to be no different than other human beings, who need to be respected and listened to, and positively reinforced.

It was a very rewarding experience and while I was there I was invited to a reading celebration in one of the classes where the parents came to hear their children read their first books out loud (even with a microphone!) It was heartwarming to see the enthusiastic response of the parents- there were also grandmothers, aunts and uncles etc. in attendance. It is sure a miracle to see a child go from non-reading to reading a whole book! Experiencing our education system first hand and having a part in it was great.

Maybe you are 60 or over and would like to participate in a program like this. There are also several other programs for seniors to use their skills.

If you are not a senior, maybe you might be interested in Americorp. This program was founded by Bill Clinton and I participated in that program for a year before I was a senior also working in the elementary school - another rewarding experience, earning an education award as well.

I am a grandmother in "real life" also - I have four grandchildren whom I don't get to see as often as I would like. Being a "foster grandparent" helps me to feel involved with children when I am not able to visit my own grandchildren. (They don't live real close by.)T

If you want to follow my New Year's resolution to be involved in your community, look for the many opportunities for volunteering. The rewards are great and the experience is memorable.

In November 2007, thee Foster Grandparent Program showed its appreciation to us by having an awards luncheon with prominent political guest speakers, a harpist who provided music throught, a TV celebrity, and a talented local singer. There was plenty of food and fun for all. It is also great to make new friends as well.

I thank God for this opportunity - I read about it in the community newspaper and am so glad that I responded to the article. New doors are forever opening in my life ! This can happen in your life too if you look out for new opportunities. Good luck!

4 comments:

Diane-ASDF said...

Dear Lady of Light,

I congratulate you on starting this new blog. You are a terrific writer. I, too, write religious poetry and your Christian articles are an inspiration to me. Regarding politics, I am not as polished with knowledge as you, and I am learning from you. Much love, /s/ Diane-ASDF

Lady Of Light said...

Diane ASDF

Thanks for your congratulations and for your generous comments. If you would like to share one of your religious poems on my Sunday Poetry blog, I would be more than happy to have you as a guest poet! Hope you will keep reading and keep learning. That's what I try to do too!
Lady of Light

Diane-ASDF said...

Dear Lady of Light,

Thank you kindly for inviting me to share one of my poems. The one poem I like to start off with in any new endeavor is"Big Beautiful God." I will email it to you and if you find favor with it and wish to include it, you have my permission.

/s/ Diane-ASDF

Lady Of Light said...

Diane ASDF

I will publish your poem on Sunday, January 6, 2008. Thanks much,

Lady of Light