Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Roads to Good Health for t2008

The first week of 2008 is nearing to an close and so it is time to talk about the last resolutions to be incorporated into my 2008 routine.

In trying to figure out a way to meet the FDA challenge of five servings of fruit and five servings of vegetables, I have invented a recipe with a new twist:

California Blend Recipe Mix for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
( Makes six to eight servings)

1 head of fresh cauliflower
1 bunch of fresh brocolli
1 pound of fresh carrots
2 tablespoons of garlic butter (butter sprinkled with garlic powder)
(can substitute 2 tablespoons of olive oil with garlic, if preferred)
1 package of sliced cooked breakfast sausage links
Optional: 1 cup lightly browned fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Preparation: 1/2 hour
1. Break cauliflower and brocolli into separate crowns and pieces
2. Peel and slice carrots
3. Put together in large pot of water with a teaspoon of salt
4. Cover and boil until done (about 20-25 minutes)
5. Brown and cook sausage in fry pan until done - drain and slice
6. Drain vegetables, add garlic butter or oil and mix in sausage and browned
mushrooms - sprinkle with salt, pepper, parm cheeze and cheddar as desired
7. Put all of this into microwavable casserole dish for easy futu preparation
of leftovers (reheat in microwave)

The benefits of this dish are that it is tasty, helps keep you 'regular", fights cancer and is also known to be brain food (incidentally, you can add fresh cabbage to this also). From a dietary standpoint, it is a healthy substitute for bacon and eggs, a bread sandwich at lunch, and a healthy supper or snack. I hope you enjoy this as much as I have!

To make sure fruit is included in the diet, even when you run out of fresh fruit or it is not available at reasonable prices, keep orange juice, and applesauce available to serve at meals. I understand V8 also has a new 5 fruit, 5 vegetable juice out called Fusion which my husband and I are going to try. j

In addition , I have become a distributor for a supplement company that has a miracle product which boosts the immune system 417% = so far my husband and I have had no colds, bronchitis, or pneumonia which can happen especially in winter. The company also has an all natural weight loss program which I am about to begin. My business partner lost over 40 pounds in 5 months. I an really excited about this. Anyone interested in this, please leave contact information on my comment space and I will tell you more about the products and the business opportunity.

I wish you luck with these innovations, and you can look forward to seeing either an original or a family recipe once a week on Saturdays in my blog.

I will report on the progress of the diet in the future. I am glad that it is a natural and healthy way to eat regular with portion control, avoiding soda and sweets, and using natural products. We'll see how it works out.

You have heard my resolutions toward a better life in 2008 - I wish the same for you! God bless you.

I also recommend joining AARP (American Association for Retired Persons) if you are 55 or over. They have an informative magazine and many benefits for seniors. For 2008, I have purchased very reasonable group term life insurance through them for my husband and I .

The last resolution is being more organized. I read an article that said to go around the house once a week with a bag and throw away 29 things - even if it is just a piece of paper or a rubber band! The other thing is to go around with a give away bag. If your giveaways are large such as furniture, bric a brac or clothing, you nearest Good Will Missions will pick up things if you call them. Being clutter free allows for increased creativity and productivity which is what I want to have in my life for 2008. I am sure you would like to have that too.

Also read more, love more, laugh more, take more photos, contact more people, share your love of God with others more - we all have room for improvement. I just started being more disciplined about lableing the back of photos in more detail so that some day whoever gets my ppictures will truly appreciate them.

Enough suggestions for today - I hope you will enjoy my poetry guest on Sunday. (Tomorrow)

Lady of Light
























No comments: