Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What A Sight!

Lady of Light

You may notice that I haven't written for a while. I had cataract surgery and was giving my eyes a rest. Oh, but everything is bright and beautiful! I even saw a red cardinal out my kitchen window the other day and the red was so red!

I am so grateful to God (and to my surgeon) that my vision is so much clearer. As I read in the book of Luke, I came across a section that is appropriate to the situation. Interestingly, too, Luke was a physician but these are words of Jesus because they are in red letters in Chapter 4:18:

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised. To preach the acceptable year of the Lord."

Well, we all certainly need to preach and hear the gospel message and anyone who has not heard it is poor regardless of their material state of money or possessions. All of us have at one time or another experienced brokenheartedness, and need to heal. Deliverance is a wonderful gift of God but restoring of the sight has a new and wonderful meaning to me after having eye surgery. The world is a much brighter place than I remembered it to be. I am now looking forward to spring, seeing the full color of all the flowers, going on a trip to the art gallery, and catching up on some reading too!

The interesting thing about this is that the eye sight got worse gradually and until the surgery, I didn't realize how bad it had been. Is it that way with our spiritual vision also? One day we skip reading the bible or our prayers are quick and hurried? We become distracted by the business of life or certain concerns- things that seem important to us but may not really be all that important in the bit scheme of things?

Suddenly, prayers are prayed and felt - the bible is opened and God's word is before us and there is an experience of refreshment and renewal that we temporarily forgot about.

I try to read something daily - even if it is something short. I think now that my eyes are improved, I'll get back to better reading habits but when we drift from reading and praying intensely and often, gradually our perspective and our vision change. Subtle as it may be at first, the signs are there and it is a situation that is easy to remedy.

Remember my suggestion in "Tried and True Devotional Methods" id reading the Proverb and Psalm for the date on the calendar. If you skip a few one month, you can pick them up the next month.

I have recovered my sight - now I pray that I will recover my spiritual vision in a new way.

May God bless you today.

Lady of Light

No comments: