Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Graven Images

Lady of Light

In Exodus, 20:4-6, God commands us not to make graven images and he tells what happens to those who worship graven images and to the generations that follow after:

""Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."

This makes me wonder about the images of Christ and the saints that are in heaven - the altars and photos that we have. It makes me wonder about those who decorate their space with large posters of celebrities such as Elvis, and those who have busts of Elvis and others displayed in their homes. Also those who hold idols in their minds - even though invisible, they can be very real. Basically, anything that we hold more important that God and our relationship with him - our money, our possessions, our jobs, our careers, other people etc.

We need to take a look at the physical and mental environment we have created for ourselves and guard against such sins. Sometimes, they can be subtle, kind of sneaking up on us. Even ungodly music in place of worship music needs to be kept in check.

In the new year, you may have resolutions such as getting rid of clutter - think about getting rid of the physical and mental clutter that distracts you from prayer and worshiping the Almighty. Take real stock of how you are spending your time.
I know that I, myself, need to be more structured with my daily bible study and long range plans of study. All of us could us improvement. I hope you think about this and pray about it to enrich your spiritual life in 2010.

God bless you and have a great day!

Lady of Light

No comments: