Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dedicating Your Children to God

Lady of Light

In some churches, dedication ceremonies take place when a new child is born. This consists of the parents (and sometimes other relatives) going forward in the sanctuary to have the child prayed over and dedicated to God in the presence of God and the congregation. In other instances, parents just pray faithfully in giving their children to God and for God's guidance to encourage them spiritually.

In 1 Samuel, we have the wonderful example of Hannah, who gave her son to the Lord and he lived with the priest. In gratitude to the Lord for giving her a child, Hannah committed her son to God. In v. 26-28 she spoke the following:

"And she said, Oh my lord, I am the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the Lord, and the Lord hath given me the petition which I asked of him. Therefore also I have lent him to the Lord: as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the Lord. And He worshiped the Lord there."

When we think of our children or grandchildren as belonging to God, it encourages us to seek the Lord's guidance in our relationship with them, and to pray for them.

If you are a grandparent as I am, who is no longer raising the children or grandchildren, I believe it is your primary job to pray for them. That, and being a good example, are the best gifts you can give them and, of course, most importantly, loving them and accepting them.

My the Lord bless you in all of your familial relationships - especially with the children.

God bless you and have a great day!

Lady of Light

No comments: