Sunday, September 13, 2009

Love Your Church

Lady of Light

Is there, at times, a tendency to take our church for granted? We go on Sundays and listen to the service and see all the people but do we LOVE our church? I realized last Sunday that I am really blessed to be in God's house on Sundays. I think of the soldiers abroad and others who do not have that same privilege.

In Psalm 26:8-12, David appeals to God and he begins by speaking of his love for the church:

"Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honor dwelleth. Gather not my soul with sinners, nor my life with bloody men: In whose hands is mischief and their right hand is full of bribes. But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity: redeem me, and be merciful unto me. My foot standeth in an even place: in the congregations will I bless the Lord."

We need to "stick to the basics" like David did. To chose and discern the people that we spend our time with - he was a King, so it is possible, like those in politics today, that he may have been tempted with bribes. He made the decision to walk in his integrity and he does it in the Lord's strength as he prays for the Lord to "redeem me, and be merciful to me."

I am going to share another recipe with you today - it is very basic but very delicious. I made this potato soup on Saturday. It is from Michel's, the Inn that is still preserved in Virginia near Thomas Jefferson's estate, Monticello. Enjoy!

Potato Soup

9 Medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 medium onions, diced
1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
2 cups milk
3 cups water
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
2 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt (I added 1/2 tsp. garlic salt)

Biol the potatoes and onions in the water until tender. Remove the potatoes and mash. Add all of the spices and mushrooms to the broth; boil for 15 minutes. Return the mashed potatoes to the broth, adding the milk and butter. Simmer over low heat for 1/2 hour; serve.

Yield: 6-9 servings
Note: Additional milk may be used depending on the desired amount of soup.
This was made in the colonial times around the 1700's. Enjoy!

God bless you and have a great day!

Lady of Light

"

No comments: