Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year - New Man - Ephesians 4:22-32

We have just today to make resolutions that will officially begin in 2008. I have discovered that the spiritual resolutions are probably more important than the activities because they involve our hearts and minds as well.

In the fourth chapter of Ephesians, these 10 verses from 22-32 describe what it is to "put on the new man" (v. 24). That we put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts. (v.22) Think of the habits of gossip, being critical, complaining etc. and see if you can change that. I already made the resolution for yesterday that I would spend more time counting my blessings - it's difficult to complain when you engage in this practice!

Be renewed in your spirit and mind. (v. 23) What we read, watch and listen to will determine the heights of renewal we will experience. More bible reading and spiritual input through other reading, TV and radio can make a large difference. I have a friend who wakes up and turns on WMCA early in the morning before actually getting out of bed. I'm going to give it a try. I got out of the habit of listening to radio and I imagine some of you who drive to work can do the same thing.

Vs. 25-28 speak of behaviors that we need to do away with such as lying, stealing, anger and it is suggested that we work with our hands that which is good so we will have to give to the needy.

Vs. 29 says not to let any corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth but that which is good to the use of edifying that it may minister grace unto the hearers. To me that means constructive criticism done with a right attitude and heart is acceptable, but we need to be careful what we say.

V. 30 Tells us "grieve not the Holy Spirit" with which you are sealed until the day of redemption. What a wonderful promise! God's spirit is the truth that guides us.

v. 31 warns against bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor and evil speaking and malice. This requires prayer as far as I am concerned to have forgiveness and I always ask God to guard my heart and mind because I know that He can and will if you ask him to.

V. 32 sums up what we want to be like as the "new man" (or woman) in the New Year.

"Be ye kind, tenderhearted and forgiving one another even as God for Christ's sake has forgiven you."

With these instructions, it is easy to formulate resolutions and resolve to be "brand new" in the brand new year.

Have a safe and Happy New Year 's Eve. I plan to be at church and a buffet with my husband next door to my house (as I mentioned before). I look forward to God's blessings! God bless you too!

No comments: