Thursday, December 27, 2007

Joel Osteen "Stays Focused"

Lady of Light
In an interview on Fox Sunday Talk Show on December 23rd, TV preacher Joel Osteen tells Chris Wallace that he succeeds in his mission because he stays focused on what he is called to do as a pastor which is to encourage people, teach them how to deal with daily life issues, and make God more relevant to today's society. His simplicity is amazing! He does not "muddy the waters" by going in too many directions with too many purposes. He has won the hearts and the attention of millions. Those who are skeptical of his lack of formal bible education should appreciate that he knows who he is and who he's not. He doesn't try to exceed his limits in what he does.

During a recent sermon, Osteen spoke about doing what we are good at and enjoy doing - to recognize the special gifts that God has given us. Osteen explained that often times, there is a tendency to try to strengthen our weaknesses instead of using our strengths. He is so right. I took this message to heart and found a new freedom I didn't have when I was trying to be naturally good at things I am not naturally good at.

As a result of tuning in to Joel Osteen on a regular basis, I believe God has blessed me personally through his ministry. I find that I am more attuned to what I call "providential meetings" with strangers at the supermarket (In a recent sermon, Osteen referred to this as "divine connections") I am more open and confident with God when I share my faith with people, and my last encounter turned out to be with someone who watched Joel Osteen on Sundays also. With this "divine connection", we were able to share and it turned out that the fellow had been considering going to a church in the neighborhood but didn't know anything about it. I was able to assure him that it was a bible-based assembly with a friendly Pastor. We agreed that we wouldn't give up watching Joel Osteen because the service is after the broadcast. After all, because of the encouragement we got about how to treat people and respond in our daily life, we were two strangers who became friends in faith! This is thanks to Osteen's open heart and attitude which just "rubs off" on people.

His role model of positive thinking is a living example of Phillipians 4:8:

"Therefore, my brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things."

I believe that meditating on this verse and obeying this command make up the essence of positive thinking.

I received a letter from Joel Osteen the other day and my favorite part was his closing,
"Believing God's Best for Your Life, Joel Osteen" How could you not want to listen to someone who has this kind of faith concerning you? I have since prayed that God would continue to strengthen my faith so that I will consistently believe God's best for my life and the lives of others too!

No comments: