Saturday, December 29, 2007

The New Year is Coming Upon Us

Very soon it is going to be 2008. To me, the New Year signifies new beginnings. As I reflect back over 2007, I think of all the many ways God has looked after me throughout the year. (I'm still here, aren't I) ?

What am I doing in preparation for the New Year? I went shopping yesterday to have everything in the house for celebration as I vowed not to have to go to the stores again until after the holiday. My husband and I are going to enjoy a few favorite special meals this weekend and I am going to make homemade chie - my mom"s recipe as I watch the Patriots go into victory over the Giants tonight!

I made a list of little chores I have procrastinated with and plan to complete those today so that I can go into 2008 with a cleaner slate. (For example, I sewed a button on my coat that had been sitting here for ages). There are more of these little things to tend to.

I am now praying about making meaningful resolutions for the New Year. My husband and I are fortunate to live right next door to a church that has a New Year's Eve service and buffet so we will celebrate the New Year by listening to a good sermon and praising and praying.

Meanwhile, I am meditating o few bible verses today, asking God to give them personal meaning to me and to enhance my vision for 2008. The first one is Romans 12:21:
"Be not overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good."

I think this means to have good thoughts towards others and to pray for them and to become tuned in to little ways to make a difference. I am going to take more time in my life journey to be sensitive to people instead of being in "my own little world". When I go out, I am going to ask God to show me along the way how he can use me to touch the lives of others.

The prayer in 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 seems fitting:

"Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work."

In the New Year, I will receive this promise that God will comfort me and establish me in word and deed. That helps me to believe I am making a resolution that I will be given the power to keep.

Ephesians 2:10 also confirms what God wants us to do concerning our works:

"For we are his workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them"

I will pray to be in harmony with God's plan and to walk in the good works He has already planned for me. That is so much easier than trying to figure it all out myself!

I hope that these first steps of preparation for the New Year will bring new blessings and for those who read this, that you too will be blessed!



l




I

No comments: