Sunday, July 20, 2008

Some of God's Gifts

Lady of Light

Good morning! What better day to restart Lady of Light after vacation! I became aware of several verses in Proverbs 20 that reminded me of the goodness of God and of his generosity. I am asking God to help me to continue to be generous with my resources and time helping others. It is the generosity of God that gives us everything including life. Proverbs 20:12 states:

"The hearing ear and the seeing eye, the Lord hath made both of them."

I am so thankful for my ears. My husband and I just got a wonderful new classical music collection with biographies and interpretation notes included and had a wonderful three hour "concert" of Beethoven. We sat and listened and read the biography and interpretation notes out loud. It speaks about how Beethoven suffered when he lost his hearing and yet, by some miracle, he could still hear music in his head even after that! And, of course, I am thankful for my eyes. I already mentioned the miracle of catarac surgery which gave me new clear lenses. The Lord gave us these wonderful gifts to use for Him. The eye to read his word and the ear to listen to his word.

In Proverbs 20:15, it speaks about something more valuable than everything in your jewelry box or safe deposit box! I appreciate the beauty of jewelry. I stumbled upon a jewelry show at our local hospital when I was there the other day. It was lovely to see all the silver necklaces, bracelets and earrings. My favorites were an amethyst necklace and a turquoise stone necklace. It is amazing what can be done from natural gems. But God reminds us of something different in this verse:

"There is gold, and a multitude of rubies, but the lips of knowledge are a precious jewel."

Think of how great it is when you hear someone speak knowledge. It might be the Pastor on Sunday morning, a professor at your school, or just someone who uses God's gift of knowledge. I thank God for my lips and the lips of others who speak with knowledge and share knowledge with me. The bible doesn't specifically mention this, at least in this Proverb, but I also thank God for fingers that can write and type to share ideas.

I always like to take time out each day to meditate on the goodness of God in some way. Today's Proverb gifted me with gratitude for that which I sometimes take for granted.

God Bless You

Lady of Light

No comments: