Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Virtuous Woman - Her Price Above Rubies

Lady of Light

Today I had the privilege of attending the Annual Womens' Prayer Meeting at the church I used to belong to before I moved. It was so great after a few years to have fellowship with all the women and rejoice in the fact that they all looked so well and are doing so well. It was a time to take a look at womens' issues - spiritual well-being, emotional well-being, health and finances. It seemed natural for us to take a look at Proverbs 31 verses 10-31. In these verses, we find out what it is that makes a virtuous woman, how she lives and what her concerns are.

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life." (Verses 10-12)

If you are married, your first concern is your husband and your relationship with him.

"She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms." (v. 17)

This reminds me that exersise is important - especially if you are a senior, you need to strength your upper body.

"She worketh willing with her hands." (v. 13)

We can all find useful things to do with our hands. This is to be productive, creative and fruitful. One friend I know belongs to a group that cuts out coupons and sends them to the servicemen. Apparently, the grocery coupons are all good overseas. We have a group here I belong to that knits and crochets shawls for the homeless. I am knitting but am going to learn crocheting. Perhaps you can start a new project - even writing letters or sending cards - especially to shut-ins or people you know that live alone - or just an encouraging word to someone. Think of new ways to be like the woman of Proverbs 31.

"She considers a field and buys it - she plants a vineyard." (v. 16)

Gardening is a wonderful activity for your family and to stay close to nature and God, get fresh air and excersise and provide something special for your household.
I am going to have a salad garden this year and look forward to watching it grow.

"She stretches her hand to the poor; and reacheth forth her hand to the needy."

I have been more mindful of giving to some good causes that come through the mail and also to some Christian ministries. We have a food drive at church where we bring canned goods each week to build up a food pantry for the needy. There is always something you can do if you look around you.

"Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. She openeth her mouth with wisdom annd in her tongue is the law of kindness." (V. 25-26)

We all need to think and speak faith, kindness and encouragement to others. Avoid gossip and unfruitful conversation. I am more aware of the time I spend talking with people. I find I truly benefit from the sharing - especially with my women friends - when idle gossip is absent.

"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness."

Spending our time caring for our homes, praying and occupying ourselves with productive and positive activity helps us to "redeem the time, for the days are evil."

I came home from this prayer breakfast (cooked by the men and very delicious, by the way!) refreshed and renewed. I am rereading this Proverb, praying and meditating on it to see what more I can do to be more of the women God wants me to be. I have already been blessed and I hope you too will be blessed by this wise Proverb and take time to read the whole thing and apply it to your lives.

Enjoy your day and God bless you,

Lady of Light

No comments: